USA vs. Mexico: Get Ready to RumbleBy: Laurie | February 6th, 2008
The US team hates the Mexico team. The Mexico team hates the US team. The end.
A few more facts add a little spice, though.
• Despite the fact that many consider Mexican futbol superior to the US version, Mexico has never won on US soil [in this decade]. US Record: 8-0-1. In these games, the US has outscored Mexico 15-1.
• Most US-Mexico games played in the US are played in border states, and Mexico fans far outnumber US fans.
• But that doesn’t seem to help them win recently.
• Tonight’s game is technically a “friendly.” But there really is no such thing when you’re talking about US-Mexico.
• A Landon Donovan quote from before the 2002 World Cup game, which the US won 2-0. “It could get unpleasant out there, especially if they feel threatened. They’ll talk smack, cuss you out, in English if they know it.” (The above photo is from this game, from the excellent photo series on foxsports. The guy on the ground is Cobi Jones.)
• Mexican player Antonio Naelson on Landon Donovan: “He’s a load – he’s someone who lacks respect, who doesn’t have a conscience when he speaks. He provokes rage, he provokes feelings where you want to do something if he’s nearby – but that’s football. We’ve got to win – only by beating him will we shut him up.”
• Some good commentary and analysis can be found at My Soccer Blog. (And by “My Soccer Blog,” I of course don’t mean MY soccer blog. That’s the name of the blog. Are we clear on this?)
• Expect an intense game.
Tonight’s game is at 9:00 p.m. Eastern, 6:00 p.m. Pacific, on ESPN2.